5.13.2009

Ruined cities of Rome





Well, today is my last day in Rome, so I decided to go see the ruins. I took a train out of town to where the wealthy Romans went, Ostia Antica, a city built in Hadrian's time. It was huge in its time, it had 50,000 people living there. So when you look at the pictures, you can imagine what it looked like nearly 1800 years ago. The top picture is the ampitheater and the bottom are the city walls.










Next I went to Caracalla's Baths, which are immense. The walls were tremendous in size and there was a pool for the bathers with a gym, changing rooms and a room to just relax. The pool was olympic size!
These are the walls:



This is the pool!
As I entered both sites, there were thousands of kids on their last trip for the school year. Makes me yearn for the days when we went to Universal (NOT!)
Well, tomorrow I am off to Pompei and Amalfi. More from there. Love to all of you.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment